[Samba] steps for fileserver replacement

lists lists at merit.unu.edu
Tue Jul 18 09:57:37 UTC 2017

On 11-7-2017 15:06, lists via samba wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the interesting suggestions, Rowland, Marco and Louis!
>
> I'll do some testing, keep my notes, and when everything turns out
> working, I'll write something up for the wiki.

So, if I may, an additional question further to the smb.conf option:
netbios aliases = ...

Suppose my old server is called files_old and the new files_new, both
are now functional.

Yesterday evening I tried testing the actual replacement, by shutting
down smbd/nmbd/winbind on the files_old, and adding
netbios aliases = files_old
on smb.conf on member server files_new

To my surprise, this did not work. Using \\files_new I could still
access everything, but \\files_old gave a username/password popup.

In fact, I tested setting netbios aliases to all kinds of random stuff,
and they all work. Only in the case of an AD computer name (or perhaps a
previously used netbios name?) it does not work. Is that so? Is this
expected?

In which case, I could remove the files_old$ computer account from AD,
and assume that it would work then. It would make reverting the
replacement a bit more difficult.

I also noticed that you can change the ip address for the domain member
server without an issue, everything still works with a new ip. So that's
cool :-)

MJ