[Samba] FreeBSD-11 and Samba-4.6 as a DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jul 16 12:34:51 UTC 2017

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 22:19:07 +1000
Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne.geraghty at heuristicsystems.com.au> wrote:

> If 4.6 uses the system namespace, then it will not build in a jailed
> environment, as only the "user" namespace is available.
>
> James was attempting to build within a bhyve environment which is free
> of that constraint.

I am just building the Samba tarballs in the same way as I do on Linux,
into /usr/local/samba

> From what a python novice could make of the code, it seems that the
> "use_ntvfs" variable is set to false. Interestingly for all previous
> SAMBA4x builds, building with ntvfs was not selected as a build
> option, so it doesn't seem to have had a role to play.

ntvfs was built by default, this was change to be only built when the
test environment is also built.

> I appreciate that this may only be of interest from a tracking down
> changes perspective, though I'm sure that samba gits are a more
> productive use of your time. :)

I (as a test) copied domain.py from 4.5.12 over the domain.py from
4.6.5 and it provisioned and ran. I am now try to track down what
changed between the two version, but I am struggling at the moment.

> Aside: I don't know if you saw in one of my emails, but it seems that
> rsync doesn't copy extended attributes on FreeBSD even when used as
> (rsync -x).

If you are going to have more than one DC, this will need to be sorted.

> It has been a long frustrating day, your help with this problem is
> greatly appreciated.

No problem.

Rowland