[Samba] getent/Winbind issues

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Jul 15 16:41:04 UTC 2017

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 16:55:07 +0100
Carlos Jesus <camjesus2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > What 'database' did you copy ?
> > If you are referring to 'sam.ldb', then you will undoubtedly have
> > problems.
> > You should have created a new DC by joining the computer as a new
> > DC, transfer FSMO roles from the old DC and then demote the old DC.
> >

> I performed a backup/restore as per
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Back_up_and_Restoring_a_Samba_AD_DC
> that's why I first installed samba 4.5.0 and only then upgraded to
> 4.6.5. It has worked in the past and allows me to do it independently
> of the (remote) server that is in production.

You can upgrade samba by just stopping Samba and then upgrading the
Samba version on the same machine, there is no need to do what you have
been doing and it is safer.

If you want to upgrade the OS, then joining another DC on the new OS is
safer.

Basically, it boils down to the fact you should only use a backup if
you have no working DCs.

It sounds like you may have some problems in your AD, do you still have
the original DC ?

Rowland