[Samba] Third Try: Huge number of small files performance regression from 3.5.16 to 4.6.5 with identical smb.conf

awl1 awl1 at mnet-online.de
Fri Jul 14 17:56:11 UTC 2017

Hi again,

Am 14.07.2017 um 19:41 schrieb Jeremy Allison:
> Start with a small, clean smb.conf file. This one is a horrible mess
> looks like accumulated over many years.
the complete content of the global section was provided by Thecus (who
produced the NAS). Without "breaking into" the NAS through ssh as a
"module developer", an end user is not even able to see the smb.conf file...

So everything in the [global] section is nothing but Thecus' seemingly
poor defaults (dating back from Samba 3.5.16) except one small change I
did when I switched from "case sensitive = auto" to "case sensitive =
true" in order to speed up the "write huge number of files into a single
directory scenario" for the original Samba 3.5 some years ago.

When you stated "the above" in your previous mail, did you only refer to
the one line immediately above, or to the complete block of lines
between two of your remarks?
Just one example:
> aio read size = 1
> aio write size = 1
> write cache size = 2097152
You stated: "REMOVE THE ABOVE WITH PREJUDICE !!!!!"

So do you want me to remove just one line: "write cache size", or all
three lines up to your previous comment?

Will try to apply the changes asap and report back...

Thanks & best regards
Andreas