[Samba] Friendly Reminder: Huge number of small files performance regression from 3.5.16 to 4.6.5 with identical smb.conf

awl1 awl1 at mnet-online.de
Fri Jul 14 17:44:38 UTC 2017

Hello Jeremy,

many thanks for getting back to me! :-)

Am 14.07.2017 um 19:33 schrieb Jeremy Allison:
> It would be quicker for you to help I'm afraid. As you have nicely
> identified the SMB2_QUERY_DIRECTORY as cause of the regression, can
> you look into the wireshark traces and tell me what info level the
> SMB1 client is asking for and what info level the SMB2 client is
> asking for ? If the SMB2 client is also asking for security
> descriptors, this may be part of it.
I will try to do my best in helping you, but I will need more
information, as I am not yet clear what exactly you want me to look for
in Wireshark:

How did you derive SMB2_QUERY_DIRECTORY from the information I listed?
For me, the main "Write" bottleneck pointed to SMB2 "Find", how do I get
to SMB2_QUERY_DIRECTORY from there?

Index               Procedure  Calls  Min SRT (s)  Max SRT (s)  Avg SRT
(s)  Sum SRT (s)
Find                       14   1607     0.001383     0.746684
0.193413   310.814294

So in order to check I should open both traces and compare exactly what
information? It would be great if you can describe what I have to do in
the Wireshark application in as much detail as possible...

Sorry, I am a complete newbie in terms of packet analysis/using
Wireshark... :-(

Thanks heaps & best regards
Andreas