[Samba] Winbindd crashed on DC

Christian Naumer cn at brain-biotech.de
Fri Jul 14 12:52:35 UTC 2017

Hello all,
I configured DHCPD on two of my DCs to update the DNS records according to the wiki (https://w
iki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9). This works now as
expected (see my other post).
The script used in the wiki (dhcp-dyndns.sh) uses "wbinfo -u | grep dhcpduser" to check if the
user exists. This worked ok until I reduced the lease time from several days to 3h for
testing. Then after 1-2 days the winbindd component of the DC crashed or something (didn't
check what happened, nothing in the logs at normal loglevel). This could be seen in that no
DNS updates were made as the script fails because wbinfo produces no output. A restart of the
samba-ad restored functionality. This happend of both the DCs running the DHCP server but not
on the other two.
Now I have removed the check for the user (no more wbinfo is called) as I know it is there.
And no crashes of winbindd since then.
Reducing the lease time to 3 hours is causing dns updates every 1-2 minutes and in this case
also wbinfo -u calls.
Should this be investigated? Or is this a rare use case?

Just thought it might help somebody else.

Regards

Christian

--
Dr. Christian Naumer
Research Scientist

B.R.A.I.N Aktiengesellschaft
Darmstaedter Str. 34-36, D-64673 Zwingenberg
e-mail cn at brain-biotech.de, homepage www.brain-biotech.de
fon +49-6251-9331-30  /   fax +49-6251-9331-11

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Zwingenberg/Bergstrasse
Registergericht AG Darmstadt, HRB 24758
Vorstand: Dr. Juergen Eck (Vorsitzender), Frank Goebel
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Ludger Mueller