[Samba] FreeBSD-11 and Samba-4.6 as a DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jul 14 09:57:18 UTC 2017

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 17:31:46 +0800
David STIEVENARD <stievenard.david at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was about to write about my success running samba 4.3.x on
> freebsd....and I found this thread...this breaks my heart ;-)
>
> this incompatibility with freeBSD appeared since 4.6 ?
> what is the feature that caused this change ?

The building of 'ntvfs' by default was stopped when 4.4.0 came out.
As far as I can see, all howtos for a DC on Freebsd used 'ntvfs'.

You could still use the deprecated 'ntvfs' by building Samba yourself
and configuring with '--enable-selftest', but this is not supported by
Samba, you would be using code that hasn't been maintained and could be
removed without any real notice.

Rowland