[Samba] any reliable way to discover Windows hostname over SMB2+?

Jason Haar jason_haar at trimble.com
Thu Jul 13 20:25:22 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 4:19 AM, Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:04:30 -0500
> I take it as you are talking about smbclient, this is on a Unix
> machine, so how about:
>
> host -i 192.168.0.2 | awk '{print $NF}' | awk -F '.' '{print $1}'
>
> If you want the FQDN, just remove the last part.

"host" invokes DNS - which I did say is awful (for us), so no. I really
need a realtime lookup instead of a "cached" lookup (which DNS and DHCP
logs are)

Basically I need something for when all else has failed. And even then I
adamantly refuse to use DNS PTR records - they are that bad (for us)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +1 408 481 8171