[Samba] Samba and AD based home shares are visible but not accessible

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jul 12 17:00:40 UTC 2017

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 16:11:56 +0000
"Cybulski, Adam M" <acybulski at albany.edu> wrote:

> Ok, Here are all the steps I took today, I am still receiving the
> same issue after following the wiki. Any time I have sanitized
> something  I have put it in <carrots> and tried to maintain the
> capitalization as it appeared. Everything else is exactly as written
> or displayed.
>

> Kerberos:
> Krb5.conf:

Change it to:

[libdefaults]
 default_realm = UNIV.<SCHOOL>.EDU
 dns_lookup_realm = false
 dns_lookup_kdc = true

> Configure Samba:
>
> Made new smb.conf with following information:
>
> [global]
> 	security = ADS
> 	workgroup = <DOMAINALIAS>
> 	realm = UNIV.<SCHOOL>.EDU
>
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
> 	log level = 1
>
> 	idmap config * : backend = ad
>    	idmap config * : range = 3000-7999

Sorry, but that is wrong ;-)

I would expect something like:

    winbind nss info = rfc2307
    idmap config * : backend = tdb
    idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
    idmap config <DOMAINALIAS> : backend = ad
    idmap config <DOMAINALIAS> : schema_mode = rfc2307
    idmap config <DOMAINALIAS> : range = 10000-99999

Or (from 4.6.0):

    idmap config * : backend = tdb
    idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
    idmap config <DOMAINALIAS> : backend = ad
    idmap config <DOMAINALIAS> : unix_nss_info = yes
    idmap config <DOMAINALIAS> : range = 10000-99999

> 	username map = /usr/local/samba/etc/smbuser.map
> 	vfs objects = acl_xattr
> 	map acl inherit = yes
> 	store dos attributes = yes
>

> MAPPING DOMAIN ADMIN ACCOUNT: (I think this is where I may have been
> going wrong. I was using a domain account, that is supposed to have
> admin permissions on this system, but does not have “Domain Join”
> privileges in our domain. This may cause issues, as there are not
> supposed to be any accounts that have both admin privileges on this
> box, and have domain admin privileges. I have changed this to an
> account with domain join privlidges.)
>
> Smbusers.map
> # Unix_name = SMB_Name1 SMB_Name2 ...
>  ! root = <DOMAINALIAS>\<Domainadmin> <DOMAINALIAS>\<domainadmin>
> <Domainadmin> <domainadmin> nobody = guest smbguest pcguest

'root' is normally mapped to 'Administrator', not sure your way is
going to work.

> Join the domain:
>
> #net ads join -U <domainadmin>
> Enter <domainadmin>'s password:
> Using short domain name -- <DOMAINALIAS>
> Joined '<HOSTNAME>' to dns domain 'univ.<school>.edu'
> DNS Update for <hostname>.univ.<school>.edu failed:
> ERROR_DNS_UPDATE_FAILED DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

This is normally because of permission problems.

> The wiki advises I test if dynamic DNS updates are working. I cannot
> run any commands on the DC, I’m in one department at a university,
> this is handles at the University IT level. 10,000 other systems are
> working fine though.

What is your DC and does it run a dns server ?

> Configuring NSS:
> Nsswitch.conf:
> passwd:     files sss winbind
> shadow:     files sss
> group:      files sss winbind
> hosts:      files dns myhostname
> bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
> ethers:     files
> netmasks:   files
> networks:   files
> protocols:  files
> rpc:        files
> services:   files sss
> netgroup:   files sss
> publickey:  nisplus
> automount:  files sss
> aliases:    files nisplus

Can I suggest you remove sssd and this should remove all mention of
'sss', otherwise, move 'sss' to after 'winbind'

> Starting services:
>
>  # systemctl start winbind
>  # systemctl start smbd
> Failed to start smbd.service: Unit not found.
>  # systemctl start smb
>  # systemctl start nmb
>
> Testing:  <-------WIKI OUT OF DATE? ----->
> #wbinfo --ping-dc
> bash: wbinfo: command not found...

Er, no:
wbinfo --ping-dc
checking the NETLOGON for domain[SAMDOM] dc connection to
"dc1.samdom.example.com" succeeded

It cannot find wbinfo, I think you need to install
'samba4-winbind-clients'

> Setting up a share:
>
> I have ACL support, and it is in the smb.conf

Again, er, no you haven't

Rowland