[Samba] 'll" command shows wrong permission of samba share

Arjit Gupta arjitk.gupta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 14:07:35 UTC 2017

Hi Team,

i have build samba 4.5.11 on hp-ux 11.31 with acl enabled.

*./smbd -b | grep -i acl*
   HAVE_SYS_ACL_H
   HAVE_HPUX_ACLS
   HAVE___ACL
   POSIX_ACL_NEEDS_MASK
   vfs_acl_tdb_init
   vfs_acl_xattr_init
   vfs_default auth_domain auth_builtin auth_sam auth_winbind vfs_hpuxacl
pdb_smbpasswd pdb_tdbsam pdb_wbc_sam auth_unix auth_wbc nss_info_template
idmap_tdb idmap_passdb idmap_nss pdb_ldapsam idmap_ldap

I have attached my smb.conf for reference purpose.

i have shared a folder and accessed it from Windows 7 client.

Now created a file(testacl.txt) there.

Now check permissions from hp-ux machine.

*ll /tmp/testacl.txt*
-rwxr--r--   1 root       sys              0 Jul 12 19:29 /tmp/testacl.txt
]# *getacl /tmp/testacl.txt*
# file: /tmp/testacl.txt
# owner: root
# group: sys
user::rwx
group::r--
*class:r--*
other:r--

Modify and give write permission to groups from windows and again check
permissions.

*ll /tmp/testacl.txt*
*-rwxrwxr--+*  1 root       sys              0 Jul 12 19:29 /tmp/testacl.txt
# *getacl /tmp/testacl.txt*
# file: /tmp/testacl.txt
# owner: root
# group: sys
user::rwx
user:root:rwx
group::rw-
group:sys:rw-
*class:rwx*
other:r--

ll is not showing correct permissions and class is showing rwx.
This was not seen when samba is build without acl.

Please let me know what i am missing here.

Arjit Kumar