[Samba] Public file share Samba 4.6.5

John Schmerold schmerold2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 11:50:42 UTC 2017

I am trying to configure a public file share on \\fs1\vol1

 From a Windows 7 command prompt, I enter: dir \\fs1\vol1
Windows says: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Where am I going wrong?

Error log says: " SPNEGO login failed: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER" - that
must have something to do with this, but I thought that was the point of
"map to guest = Bad User"

My smb.conf:
[global]
         netbios name = FS1
         realm = KATY.LAN
         workgroup = KATY
         log level = 5
         log file = /var/log/samba.log.%m
         max log size = 50
         dns forwarder = 192.168.35.13
         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
         template shell = /bin/bash
         template homedir = /home/%U
         map to guest = Bad User

[netlogon]
         path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/katy.lan/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         read only = No

[vol1]