[Samba] steps for fileserver replacement

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Jul 10 22:29:39 UTC 2017

i would do it like this.
install the new member, setup a new hostname and ip, (static ip).
setup shares and copy data to the new server.

down old server, setup alias ip of the old server on the new, and create cname old hostname to new.

then monitor in the logs which pc's use ip numbers in shares.

for me the biggest advantage is, its reversable and flexible, meanig, you can do most of the work during work hours..

if you rejoin in you setup, cant boot up the old, without also there a rejoin.
which makes an extra point of possible problems.

just me thoughts..

Greetz,

Louis