[Samba] using samba with bind dlz

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 10 14:02:03 UTC 2017

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 06:43:37 -0600
Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bind-9.11 is installed. How do you configure it? Does it need anything
> special in the config for samba to build the ...samba.../named.conf
> file that I should be able to include in my /etc/named.conf
> afterwards?

With Fedora being a bit 'bleeding edge', I just wondered if they had
started using Bind10, but 9.11 should be okay, Samba knows all about
that version ;-)

>  My guess is that some directory is missing. But if I start fresh and
> configure samba with the internal dns it gets all the way through it's
> configuration with no errors.

Not sure, all I can tell you is what packages I install when creating a
DC on Devuan:

samba acl attr quota fam winbind libpam-winbind libpam-krb5
libnss-winbind krb5-config krb5-user ntp dnsutils ldb-tools bind9
bind9utils

> I've tried without named running and with it running and get the same
> error. Mayke something missing in the python scripts building the dns
> file.

I just install Bind9, configure it, but do not start it. I then
provision Samba. I then start Bind9 followed by Samba and it just
works. Perhaps there is something wrong in your bind conf files ?

Rowland