[Samba] Samba 4.6.5 Active Directory on CentOS

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Mon Jul 10 13:26:01 UTC 2017

Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

[Sorry for that late post... i was very busy on other things!]

> The howto also doesn't tell you that, on a DC, the 'unixHomeDirectory'
> and 'loginShell' attributes are ignored. Once you have 'getent'
> working, you will find that all your users have their Unix home
> directories set to '/home/DOMAIN/username' and their shell will be
> '/bin/false', see here for how to fix this:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Winbindd_on_a_Samba_AD_DC

A-HA!

This is exactly my experience in migrating from NT to AD mode the
domain, and finally i've switched to sssd to have home and shell
correctly working (eg, rfc2307 data).

> Finally, [homes] doesn't work on a DC, see here:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders

Uh. So, practically speaking, migrating an existing domain from NT do
AD pose me the need to modify substantially the overral samba
configuration, or split the server's domain in two, one running the DC
and other as members?