[Samba] [3.6.6] nmbd reachable on 0.0.0.0: Safe?

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Mon Jul 10 09:16:33 UTC 2017

> On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 05:18:29 -0700 (PDT)
> Winfried via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Samba - General mailing list wrote
>>> I would be more worried about the fact you are still using a
>>> version of Samba that went EOL quite some time ago ;-)
>> Thanks for the infos.
>>
>> This is an ARM-based (Marvell Kirkwood Feroceon 88FR131) appliance
>> that is running Debian 7.11. "apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade"
>> provides no more recent release of Samba. Is there a way to force APT
>> to install a more recent release?  I prefer using it to manage
>> applications.
>>
>> ==============
>> ~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
>> # deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
>>
>> deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
>> deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
>>
>> deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
>> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
>>
>> # wheezy-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
>> deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main
>> deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main
>> ==============
> You can only get what the OS supplies with apt-get upgrade. Is there a
> later version of debian available ?
> If there isn't, you may be stuck with 3.6
>
> Rowland
Debian version 8 and 9 are available for the armel architecture, which
includes Kirkwood CPUs. However, distribution upgrades are not performed
with 'apt-get update' alone. You will need to modify
/etc/apt/sources.list to point to a newer release first, then run
'apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade'.

It should be enough to replace every occurrence of 'wheezy' in the
sources.list with 'jessie' to upgrade to Debian 8. If everything works
after that, replace 'jessie' again with 'stretch' and run the
update/dist-upgrade again to upgrade to Debian 9. Don't try to upgrade
from7 to 9 in one step! You could stick with Debian 8 for a while since
it will continue to get security updates for at least a year or so.

Andreas