[Samba] [3.6.6] nmbd reachable on 0.0.0.0: Safe?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jul 9 12:51:59 UTC 2017

Am 09.07.2017 um 14:18 schrieb Winfried via samba:
> Samba - General mailing list wrote
>> I would be more worried about the fact you are still using a version of
>> Samba that went EOL quite some time ago ;-)
>
> Thanks for the infos.
>
> This is an ARM-based (Marvell Kirkwood Feroceon 88FR131) appliance that is
> running Debian 7.11. "apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade" provides no more
> recent release of Samba. Is there a way to force APT to install a more
> recent release?  I prefer using it to manage applications.
>
> ==============
> ~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> # deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main

well, that's how Debian works adn especially appliances built on debian,
but you need to consider something newer anyways

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_version_history#Debian_7_.28Wheezy.29

Security support until: 26 April 2016
Long-term support: May 2018

don't ask me what "long time support" is worth when security support
ends a year before, i won't touch based on Debian anyways because of
their idiotic backporting attitude even when upstream releases a update
which only fix critical bugs and when i have to use testing repos in
production i can then also install a sane distribution where i get
packages like samba-4.5.10-0.fc25.x86_64