[Samba] Domain users with expired account passwords cannot set a new one during login

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Thu Jul 6 13:23:29 UTC 2017

Mandi! akanator via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> I'm in the process of setting up a Samba 4 PDC on Debian 8. I've set user passwords to expire after a day for testing purposes. When a user tries to log in when his password has already expired, he only gets a short "The user account has expired." message and then gets sent back to the username/password screen, effectively locking them out. Tested with Windows 10 and Windows 7.
> There seems to be a way to get a "Enter your old password and a new password twice" screen instead, but I'm having a hard time finding where to configure that. Can anyone assist?

AFAI've understood, there are two different expiration: password and
account.

Account expiration are irreversible, you set a date and after that date
account are disabled.

Password expiration instead seems what you are speaking abount: if
password expires, you are asked to change the password at logon.

Account expiration are set as a date in AD data; password expiration
are set in polixy (or GPO) as as 'number of days after the last
password change'.