[Samba] Samba 4.6.5 for debian Stretch available. (amd64/i386)

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Jul 3 08:33:43 UTC 2017

Hai,

I've created the samba Debian Stretch packages and are available through my apt.
This wil make Debian Jessie to Stretch upgrade more easy if you use my packages.

More info at : apt.van-belle.nl and in short:

- use stretch-backports if you want the current debian testing (buster) packages. (debian 4.6.5-2)  ( No changes make to packages, a one on one rebuild )
- use stretch if you want the latest from unstable and/or experimental.  (debian 4.6.5-3)  ( can have extra patches (added 1 patch.)
- use stretch-unstable, this wil be the line following latest from samba.org. ( currently no packages )
I've added one patch to 4.6.5-3 (stretch), which is a dns root server correction.

I've tested the upgrade now multiple times and this is how i am upgradeing my production servers, and i consider this save.
! please note, these servers of my, run samba and maybe one or 2 extra packages. (samba+squid or samba+cups or samba+apache etc.. spread over multiple server)
! before upgradeing always backup you server.
! before upgrading always make an extra backup of /var and /etc
! before any dist upgrade always make sure you system is up2date, reboot before you upgrade and check then clear you logs.
! I recommend that, if you have a problem somewhere, fix this before upgrading.

!! READ THE SAMBA CHANGE LOGS IF YOU UPGRADE FROM A 4.5 (OR LOWER) TO 4.6.X
If you upgrading fom 4.5.x or lower, then in (almost) all upgrade cases i've seen you upgrade of samba wil fail!
but dont worry, the fix is easy, and if keept you smb.conf simple and up2date your upgrade wont fail.

You must correct you smb.conf to match the new samba settings. ( see changelogs and parameter changes )
Summerized here :  http://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/Upgrade-info.txt
and run dpkg-reconfigure -a and you upgrade continques.

Ow and this wil also happen in you use only package provided by debian, this is due to more stricker samba smb.conf settings.
You MUST fix you smb.conf to match the current samba version you going to run.
if you goto 4.6.x, run samba-tool testparm after the upgrade, this also check the idmap settings used.

If you have this in you setup, ( most found in 4.2 setups. )
'security = share'
Change that to :
security = user
map to guest = Bad User

A sample of my upgrade path.

# Jessie before upgrade to stretch.
apt-cache policy samba
winbind:
  Installed: 2:4.6.5+dfsg-1nmu1
  Candidate: 2:4.6.5+dfsg-1nmu1
  Version table:
 *** 2:4.6.5+dfsg-1nmu1 0
        500 http://apt.van-belle.nl/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:4.5.10+dfsg-1nmu1 0
        500 http://apt.van-belle.nl/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
     2:4.5.8+dfsg-2~bpo8+1 0
        500 http://apt.van-belle.nl/debian/ jessie-backports/main amd64 Packages
     2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u6 0
        500 http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates/main amd64 Packages
     2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u5 0
        500 http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages

# change apt sources.list to stretch
sed -i 's/jessie/stretch/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

# adjust my repo to stretch.
sed -i 's/jessie/stretch/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/van-belle.list

# If you used jessie's "unstable" from my apt, for stretch i setup stretch-unstable, to keep thing more clear.
sed -i 's/unstable/stretch-unstable/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/van-belle.list

apt-get update

# First dist-upgrade but download only to make sure you have the needed package for the upgrade on your server.
apt-get dist-upgrade -d

# upgrade everything.
apt-get dist-upgrade -y

after the upgrade: