[Samba] Can't create/update Group Policy in Samba 4.6.5

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Jul 3 07:49:36 UTC 2017

Hai Marcio,

> Can I remove Unix Attributes of the Administrator user  and
> other administrator groups (set up NIS Domain to "none") ?
Yes, GID on Domain Admins, is not a problem, but UID on Administrator is a big problem.
So yes, user Administrator remove all unix tab settings. ( Dont forget to run : net cache flush )
And dubble check with : id Administrator.

A tip. For example, ( part of smb.conf member with AD backend. )
    ## map id's outside to domain to tdb files.
    idmap config * :backend = tdb
    idmap config * :range = 2000-9999

    ## map ids from the domain  the range may not overlap !
    idmap config NTDOM : backend = ad
    idmap config NTDOM : schema_mode = rfc2307
    idmap config NTDOM : range = 10000-3999999
    idmap config NTDOM : unix_nss_info = yes

id username shows:
uid=10002(username) gid=10000(domain users) groups=10000(domain users),27(sudo),116(lpadmin),10004(servers-ssh),2001
Now there is one error in that line.  (the last GID 2001 )

After running net cache flush:
uid=10002(username) gid=10000(domain users) groups=10000(domain users),27(sudo),116(lpadmin),10004(servers-ssh),2001(BUILTIN\users)
*(sample of member with AD backend setup)

And this is correct: 2001(BUILTIN\users)

I have assigned all my (domain) windows "default groups" an GID, but im using these on multiple servers.
( These defaults groups are "domain" users/guests/computers/admins. )
! Think RID/AD, where you need the same id (GID) on every server. Most important.

Tip, is no problem on a member to change RID to AD if needed, just change the backend, restart samba and winbind
! WATCH OUT FOR YOUR RIGTHS ON THE SERVERS!!! You will loose these if UID/GIDS change.
Run: net cache flush.
!! AGAIN YOU NEED TO REAPPLY ALL RIGHTS ON THE FILE SERVER AFTER CHANGING RID <> AD BACKENDS.

Note, This does not apply for all setups, but users with multiple server should think about this.

Greetz,

Louis