[Samba] Authentication issues with Samba 4.3.8

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jul 2 15:02:46 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 19:49:12 +0530
"Chunduru, Krishnachaithanya via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> Sorry I missed your previous mail.
>
> Our servers are not having any ldap or AD for authentication. It is
> using tdbsam option as password database, and yes all the users and
> groups are stored locally in the /etc/passwd and /etc/group.

OK, what you seem to be trying to set up is a standalone server with
only passworded user access.

Can I suggest you alter smb.conf to this:

[global]
        # Change 'WORKGROUP' below to whatever
        # you want your workgroup to be called.
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        server string = Samba on AIX
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        log level = 2
        max log size = 1000

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /usr/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[tmp]
        comment = Temporary file space
        path = /tmp
        read only = No

Your users will need to exist in /etc/passwd and also be Samba users,
you can do this by running (as root):

smbpasswd -a USERNAME

You will be asked for a password for the user (twice) and then the user
will be added to Samba's database

You will also need to run (again as root):

smbpasswd -e USERNAME

You can find more info on this here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server

You do not need to run winbind on a standalone server, only 'smbd' &
'nmbd'

Any user that needs to connect to the shares, will need to be both a
Unix and Samba user on the standalone server, they will also have to
use the Samba users password.

Rowland