[Samba] Problems with time synchronism on Samba 4 DC

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Sat Jul 1 16:52:45 UTC 2017

Marcio Demetrio Bacci via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Windows and Linux workstations are not synchronizing the time with the
> Samba 4 DC. I have verified that the problem is permission.
>
> I'm using Samba 4.6.3 on Debian 8.
>
> In this way the stations are with different schedules from the DC.
>
> Do I need to configure any GPOs?
>
> What is the maximum time the computer clock can differ from DC ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Márcio
> --

I didn't have Policy issues on my Windows workstations, perhaps because they were domain
members before, but I did have the issues described in this link:

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/info/ntp-w32time.htm

"Some w32time versions are unable to query time from NTP servers ...  NTP servers may not
respond to the type of queries sent by w32time ..."

The link describes the issue, and the solution I use on my AD's Windows workstations (also
described in the link) is, Windows command line:

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:mail,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
w32tm /config /update

--Mark