[Samba] net ads and wbinfo are painfully slow -- but they work

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jan 31 20:36:30 UTC 2017

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 12:06:14 -0800
Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:22 AM, Rowland Penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> > I would also expect to see at least something like this:
> >
> >     idmap config SAMDOM : backend = rid
> >     idmap config SAMDOM : range = 10000-999999
>
> Rowland,
>
> Thank you.  I corrected the mistake you identified by adding a rid
> backend and range for my domain.
>
> However, some operations are still outrageously slow.  For example,
> "net ads testjoin" takes 5 minutes to complete.  The logs imply the
> slowdown is at or soon after "Starting GENSEC sub mechanism gse-krb5".
>
> Do you know of a way I can methodically identify the source of the
> slowdown?  If not, does your instinct lead you to suspect my new samba
> setup or my new Windows Server 2012R2 domain (or perhaps my network or
> DNS)?
>
> Thank you again,
>
> Chris

That is very very slow ;-)

time net ads testjoin
Join is OK

real	0m0.476s
user	0m0.108s
sys	0m0.008s

Is the Windows AD DC running a dns server ?
Does the Unix client have the AD DC as its nameserver ?

I would also look at the ethernet cables, switches etc

Can you post your /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts

It might also help if you can upgrade to a later version of Samba.

Rowland