[Samba] Fwd: Can somebody explain the file ownership of a

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 30 21:48:53 UTC 2017

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 10:22:35 +1300
Kosala Atapattu via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We're implementing a fully integrated Samba setup with the Active
> directory on IBM AIX. From AIX level we have established the single
> sign on against Windows AD 2012R2. Currently the following user
> accounts and groups exists on the AD domain.
>
> # cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
> [global]
>         security = ADS
>         workgroup = PAPERCLIP
>         realm = PAPERCLIP.SC.NZ <http://paperclip.sc.nz/>
>         netbios name = UNIX732
>         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>         log level = 5
>         kerberos method = secrets and keytab
>
> [Bio]
>         comment = Bio
>         path = /test/bio/
>         valid users = @PAPERCLIP\bio2
>         writable = yes
>         read only = no
>         force create mode = 0660
>         create mask = 0777
>         directory mask = 0777
>         force directory mode = 0770

I have never used AIX, but I would still expect to see something like
this in smb.conf:

    idmap config *:backend = tdb
    idmap config *:range = 2000-9999

And this:

    idmap config PAPERCLIP : backend = ad
    idmap config PAPERCLIP : schema_mode = rfc2307
    idmap config PAPERCLIP : range = 10000-999999

Or this:

    idmap config PAPERCLIP : backend = rid
    idmap config PAPERCLIP : range = 10000-999999

I suggest you read this Samba wiki page:

Then come back with any questions you may have.

Rowland