[Samba] Samba-4.3 AD-DC Win7pro clients not time syncing

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Mon Jan 30 17:16:30 UTC 2017

We have a Samba-4.3 AD-DC hosted on a FreeBSD-10.3 system.  We have
just discovered that for some reason our domain workstations are not
synchronising their time with the AD-DC.  We have not altered the
default GPO nor have we created a special GPO to handle time services.

I have been working on several of the domain clients and I cannot seem
to get them to source from the Samba server.  I have confirmed that
ntpd is running on the AD-DC and listening on udp:123. I have also
confirmed that udp:123 is not blocked by the firewall at either end.

I set the client's w32tm configuration this way:

w32tm /config /update /manualpeerlist:"time.nrc.ca time.chu.nrc.ca"
/syncfromflags:ALL

And when I check the status with

w32tm /query /status

then I see this:

Leap Indicator: 0(no warning)
Stratum: 3 (secondary reference - synced by (S)NTP)
Precision: -6 (15.62ms per tick)
Root Delay: 0.0313721s
Root Dispersion: 0.2973346s
ReferenceId: 0x84F60BE3 (source IP: 132.246.11.227)
Last Successful Sync Time: 2017-01-30 11:46:22
Source: time.nrc.ca
Poll Interval: 11 (2048s)

And if I do this:

w32tm /resync /rediscover
Sending resync command to local computer
The computer did not resync because no time data was available.

I am afraid that I am mystified by this.  Have I misconfigured
something on the Samba server to account for this behaviour?  I have
not previously run into this problem before but I have seen from my
researches that many people have had this issue with MicroSoft servers
so it does not appear a Samba specific thing but I cannot be sure.

In any case, How does one fix this?

Canada  L8E 3C3