[Samba] Samba 4.5.2, 4.5.3, 4.5.4 as secondary DC to Windows 2008 R2

Prof. Dr. Michael Schefczyk michael at schefczyk.net
Sun Jan 29 20:47:11 UTC 2017

Dear All,

I am running a two location SOHO network with a Microsoft AD on a Windows 2008 R2 server. The only secondary DC is a Microsoft HyperV VM running on the same Windows machine. My aim is to become more independent from Microsoft products. Nevertheless, I need to upgrade my server to Windows 2016 sometime soon - which does not mean that the DC level needs to be upgraded to Server 2016 (known to incompatible with Samba).

In parallel, I would like to move the active directory to two separate servers (= one per location) running debian jessie and Samba. Based on previous advice via this list, I did compile myself and I did try 4.5.2, 4.5.3 and 4.5.4. To gain confidence, I would like to run the Windows and Samba DC in parallel for some time (being aware that sysvol replication needs to be managed).

I found it quite doable to setup the Samba 4.5.X severs and let them join the Microsoft AD as DC. Running samba-tool drs showrepl on them, indicates no relevant issues. Things do run very well for about a week, but then replication does fail from the perspective of the Microsoft AD. The error indicates that schemas to no longer match (original error message in German below).

So far, I did find no way to avoid this issue. If this stays, this setup is just not usable, unfortunately.

Can someone please point me to a direction other than giving this up (at least for the next few versions of Samba)?

Regards,

Michael

Protokollname: Directory Service
Quelle:        Microsoft-Windows-ActiveDirectory_DomainService