[Samba] Migration from WS2K3 to CentOS

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Jan 24 20:11:10 UTC 2017

Hello Sebastien,

Am 24.01.2017 um 14:09 schrieb Nom Confidentiel via samba:
> I have a customer we would like to switch to Samba. Because of a heavy
> amount of customization on each workstations, I would avoid removing
> workstations from the domain. I had the idea I could add Samba as a
> Secondary domain controller and simulate a failure on the PDC but a
> complete migration guide or a quick guide could be appreciate.

Because you said Windows 2003, you must be talking about a DC, not a PDC
(which only exists in NT4 domains).

However, here's the procedure:

1.) Join the Samba DC to your AD:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Samba_DC_to_an_Existing_Active_Directory

2.) Configure your clients to use the DNS on the Samba DC.

3.) Transfer all FSMO roles to the Samba DC:
    https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Transferring_and_Seizing_FSMO_Roles

4.) Temporarily turn of the Windows DC and verify that everything work
like expected.

5.) Demote your Windows DC. For details, see the MS documentation.

Regards,
Marc