[Samba] Upgrade of Samba from 4.4.6 to 4.5.4

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jan 18 19:41:51 UTC 2017

OK, I give in, why didn't I get the OPs reply to my post ?

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 13:23:16 -0600
Matthew Delfino via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > On 2017.01.18, at 1:16 PM, Reindl Harald via samba
> > <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > Am 18.01.2017 um 20:01 schrieb Matthew Delfino via samba:
> >> UPDATE: These commands seem to have addressed my problem, but I
> >> don’t know if it’s a lame or elegant hack:
> >>
> >> ln
> >> -s /usr/lib/libwbclient.so.0.13 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwbclient.so.0.13
> >> cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ rm libwbclient.so.0
> >> ln -s libwbclient.so.0.13 libwbclient.so.0
> >
> > looks extremely dirty and fragile
>
> Yeah. It does. It is.
>
> > people really should really learn to build packages which either
> > *cleanly* install far away from the system (/usr/local/) or just
> > override distribution packages with a higher internal version
> >
> > such packages install any needed symlinks and file as needed and
> > whenever you have to enter the command "ln" manually your package
> > is wrong
> >
> > no idea how to build on Debian, on Redhat systems rpmbuild is not
> > hard to learn and works over many years and dist-upgrades without
> > issues
>
> Well, it’s always worked on Ubuntu before. Maybe my configuration is
> just odd enough that I stumbled upon a bug?

It has been some time since I used Ubuntu 14.04, but I am fairly
positive that the version of Bind9 that comes with 14.04 works with
Samba.

Don't do that (too late now though), you could clobber your version of
Samba if somehow Samba gets installed with apt-get or an update.

As I said, you wouldn't be having this problem if you had compiled
Samba as shown on the Samba wiki or had created your own deb packages
(or used Louis packages).
You now need to identify just which libwbclient client the complile
created and use this.

Rowland