[Samba] SOLVED(aproximative?): Difficulties with Windows XP: failed to find cifs/fileserver.y.z at Y.Z in keytab (arcfour-hmac-md5)

rawi only4com at web.de
Tue Jan 17 12:23:30 UTC 2017

Samba - General mailing list wrote
> And there is your problem, AD lives (or dies) on DNS, unlike NT. You
> have this line 'dns-nameservers 127.0.0.1' in your smb.conf. It is
> useless, it is pointing to itself and you are not running a dns
> server, even if you were running a dns server, it shouldn't point to
> itself.
>
> There are those that say you can run a Samba AD DC in the way you are
> trying, but that way is not supported.
>
> You need to run a dns server on the DC and point anything outside the
> AD domain to another dns server
>
> Supported DNS servers are the internal DNS server or Bind9 with dlz.
>
> I suggest you go and read this:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller
>
> Rowland

Rowland, thank you!

I've red the "Setting_UP" and many others up and down...

And I know the recommendations, but sometime one needs a special setting.

Even if dns-nameservers 127.0.0.1 is useles, no harm, but I wish o single
name space for all I have, with a part of it in an AD.

That's why I'm trying workarounds and hope on the help of the community,
which has seemingly already achieved such things - as you say - even
unsupported.

It is clear to me, that the Samba Team cannot support any possible
configuration, but a simple workable setup for all.

On the other way, Microsoft doesn't support officially Windows working
flawlessly with Samba in place of it's own servers, but we are doing this
all the time ;)

When I'll reach a stable situation for the clients I have now, I'll freeze
the installation for another couple of  years and live happily with it.

Regards

rawi