[Samba] Why is S4 attempting to execute rndc when using *INTERNAL* DNS?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 13 18:31:02 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-01-13 at 13:07 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams via samba wrote:
> My AD domain (SerNET S4 4.5.3) using S4's internal DNS, and always
> has.  So why is it now constantly logging an error of -
>
>    [2017/01/13 12:53:00.152754,  0]
> ../lib/util/util_runcmd.c:316(samba_runcmd_io_handler)
>      /usr/sbin/rndc: Failed to exec child - No such file or directory
>
>   - after attempting to add a 2008R2 DC.  I do not recall seeing
> this
> error previously [not prior to 4.5.3].

I don't think this area has changed recently, but perhaps we now catch
the error better.  I agree, this is a bit silly - it is writing out a
config file for bind 9.7, ie before we had the DLZ code.

The whole thing needs to be removed - those running bind9 with the
flatfile backend are unsupported anyway and probably don't want Samba
dynamically updating configuration entries - they want things locked
down.

A patch to remove rndc from source4/dsdb/dns_update.c would be
favourably considered.  My one concern is that this is accidentally
helping ensure new zones appear in BIND9 with DLZ by poking it every 60
seconds, when these are added over RPC.  That should be checked.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett