[Samba] Expected DNS records for a new ADC?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Jan 13 10:59:04 UTC 2017

I have added a 2008R2 server as an ADC to a domain (S4 4.5.3);  and the
instructions say to verify the DNS records...  what DNS records does
one expect to find?  I think I know but looking in DNS it does not
appear the server created any DNS records relating to being a DC.

No GUID CNAME in _msdcs.micore.us, no SRV records in Default-First-
Site-Name._tcp,...

I have not yet rebooted the server after the promotion.

Replication appears to have started but is not operational.

CN=Configuration,DC=micore,DC=us
	Default-First-Site-Name\SUNBEAM via RPC
		DSA object GUID: 06fe0b47-22c4-4450-a88f-eae1fc7dd2a6
		Last attempt @ Fri Jan 13 05:37:37 2017 EST failed,
result 2 (WERR_BADFILE)
		107 consecutive failure(s).
		Last success @ NTTIME(0)