[Samba] Winbind PAM RHEL

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Tue Jan 10 17:01:03 UTC 2017

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017, Oliver Werner via samba wrote:

> on debian i use pam winbind by adding
>

> Is there another way on RHEL? i have configure RHEL that wbinfo -u gives me the users and getent passwd also.
>
> id <username> is not possible. It tells me user unknown.
>
> With authconfig i have enable winbind for authentication.

The RHEL way to do it is with authconfig.  The documentation for RHEL6 is
here:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/ch-Configuring_Authentication.html#Setting-Auth-Stores

Note that you need to enable both authorization ("user account
configuration" in the GUI) and authentication.  If you want to use the
CLI, you probably want something like:

authconfig --enablewinbind --enablewinbindauth --smbsecurity ads --enablewinbindoffline --smbservers=ad.example.com --smbworkgroup=EXAMPLE --smbrealm EXAMPLE.COM --winbindtemplateshell=/bin/sh --enablemkhomedir --update

...you may want to replace --update with --test the first time around.
Also note that if you've configured any of the several things that
authconfig configures manually, it may overwrite some or all of your
changes.