[Samba] Make users enviroment for samba File Shared Server

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 9 08:50:44 UTC 2017

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 00:51:42 -0200
Rodrigo Cunha via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Dears,
> I install a samba, and setting a shared server in my desktop for
> shared is files but the make users displayed my login area with
> access for my bash. I used commands bellow for make my users in
> environment Linux. adduser --disabled-login --no-create-home user
> passwd user
> Bellow my command samba configure:
> smbpasswd -a user
> I do not want my users with access for my desktop.
>
> Regards,

I think you mean that you want your users to be able to access the
shares, but not be able to actually login to the standalone server.

Have a look here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server

It basically boils down to using the correct command to create the
users, 'useradd' instead of 'adduser' and setting the users shell to
'/sbin/nologin' or '/bin/false'

Rowland