[Samba] AD Replication issues due to lingering objects

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jan 3 21:20:59 UTC 2017

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 21:01:50 +0000
Tom Cannaerts - INTRACTO <tom.cannaerts at intracto.com> wrote:

> Do you tnink I can simply apt-get install from that repo to upgrade
> the current samba?

As far as am aware, yes, but Louis should be able to confirm this.

> Going down the demote/re-join route, I'm encountering problems
> demoting the DC:
>
> Deactivating inbound replication
> Asking partner server DC1.mydomain.local to synchronize from us
> Error while demoting, re-enabling inbound replication
> ERROR(<class 'samba.drs_utils.drsException'>): Error while sending a
> DsReplicaSync for partion DC=mydomain,DC=local - drsException:
> DsReplicaSync failed (8240, 'WERR_DS_NO_SUCH_OBJECT')
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/domain.py",
> line 712, in run
>     sendDsReplicaSync(drsuapiBind, drsuapi_handle, ntds_guid,
> str(part), drsuapi.DRSUAPI_DRS_WRIT_REP)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/drs_utils.py", line
> 83, in sendDsReplicaSync
>     raise drsException("DsReplicaSync failed %s" % estr)

This was a problem with earlier versions,which has been fixed in later
versions and you can now demote a DC from another DC with
'remove-other-dead-server=REMOVE_OTHER_DEAD_SERVER'

> What are the steps to force the DC2 (samba) server to forget about
> everything and get it in a state where I can re-join it to the domain
> as a domaincontroller? I can remove the DC from the AD using a
> metadata cleanup on the Windows DC, but what do I need to do on the
> samba server? There's more on that server, so I can't just destroy it
> and install it from scratch.

With your version of Samba, I think you will have to trawl through AD
and manually remove everything.

Rowland