[Samba] DDNS-filover in wiki

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 27 10:43:14 UTC 2017

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 11:07:26 +0100
Stefan Kania via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> you added the failover to your wiki:
>
>  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9
>
> It would be a good idea to explain some things. In your script you are
> using the port 519 and 520 for the failover:
> --------------
> failover peer "dhcp-failover" {
>   primary;
>   address dc1.samdom.example.com;
>   port 519;
>   peer address dc2.samdom.example.com;
>   peer port 520;
>   max-response-delay 60;
>   max-unacked-updates 10;
>   mclt 3600;
>   split 128;
>   load balance max seconds 3;
> }
> --------------
> Why are you using this ports?

I actually wrote the failover notes sometime ago, they just never made
it to the wiki. If I remember correctly, the information came from 'man
dhcpd.conf' and at that time the recommended ports were '519' & '520'

> Are this ports TCP or UDP?

TCP

> Will they be opened automatically?

I think you mean in the firewall, don't really know because I don't use
a firewall, but I wouldn't have thought so.

> A short explanation would be good. As I told you before, it's one of
> the best howtos in the wiki.

Your post made me check the manpage again and, as usual, things have
changed, so I will do some testing based on the changes and then
update the wiki page.

Rowland