[Samba] (DeviceIoControl, FSCTL_SET_SPARSE)

David Disseldorp ddiss at samba.org
Thu Feb 23 10:34:58 UTC 2017

Hi Brian,

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 17:20:48 -0800, brian lamb via samba wrote:

> For some reason It's not erroring now, I will look into it more, but I suspect it’s the settings, the last thing mentioned

Glad to hear.

> David
>
> > [globa]l section is fine, as long as it's not also set in the share section.
>
> So, yeah, that may have fixed im for the time being not getting the sparse errors, for the first time in 4 months, however, there is a couple other problems, so hopefully they wont come back after these disappear.  To be specific the latest issues can be seen by the snippet below on the Freefilesync log.  Im trying to dial in the symlink operation, and any other remaining errors.
>
> This demonstrates two issues
> 1)  Cannot write file Error Code 2: The system cannot find the file specified. (BackupWrite)
> 2)  Error Code 183: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (CreateSymbolicLinkW)

Hmm, it looks as though your application uses some exotic functions
which aren't supported by Samba at a protocol level:
- https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363866(VS.85).aspx
- https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa362511(v=vs.85).aspx

Please capture network traffic, once with the application running
against a Samba server, and once against a (recent) Windows SMB2+
server:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets

When you have the captures, please create a bug at bugzilla.samba.org,
and attach them there.

You should obtain these captures in an isolated test network, with test
data - they may be seen by others.

Cheers, David