[Samba] Classicupgrade : was id maping

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Feb 23 07:41:02 UTC 2017

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 12:13:34 +1300
Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> RID values are not converted directly to UID or GID values in the way
> you suppose.

I don't suppose that at all

> I think there is some confusion between the uidNumber / gidNumber and
> the user's RID (in objectSID) / primaryGroupID here.

No, I think you are getting confused. What I was referring to was that
in the past, on a PDC, users were using the RID from Domain Users as
its gidNumber and the users RID as their uidNumber.

This is now leading to having to use a line such as:

idmap config DOMAIN : range = 500-999999

My personal opinion, this a BAD idea.

Rowland