[Samba] Best practice scheduler for SMB server

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Feb 22 15:36:45 UTC 2017

Not really a samba question and i havent looked into the vfs modules for such things, never needed it.

I can say that it depends on the running kernel and disktype and os latency.

If its for a SSD, then preffered kernel 4.2+ to get the best performance.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=cfq-io-scheduler-iops-linux-4.2

Make sure paritions are aligned correctly, thats very very important.
And test with the diffent schedulers.

Have a look here for some good info.
https://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/wiki/Linux_I/O_Scheduler
http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Linux_I/O_Performance_Tests_using_dd