[Samba] One username for multiple clients?

Eric Altman eric at lumaforge.com
Wed Feb 22 12:34:56 UTC 2017

 <http://www.lumaforge.com/>
Eric Altman ❱❱ CTO
PHONE  310.752.9993 x701
EMAIL  eric at lumaforge.com   <mailto:tyler at lumaforge.com>
WEB  lumaforge.com <http://lumaforge.com/>
OFFICE  6608 Lexington Ave. Hollywood, CA 90038

> On Feb 22, 2017, at 4:24 AM, Reindl Harald via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

> Am 22.02.2017 um 12:44 schrieb Eric Altman via samba:
>> Simply put: We don't care about security at the office. Our current configuration is to have just one SMB user logged in on ALL machines. We've had a little bit of weirdness but can't pin it down.
>
> besides that "We don't care about security at the office" is not very smart at all (you will regret it when the first client with a crypto malware starts to encrypt your shares and you don#t have a clue which of the 40 machines is infected) you need to describe "little bit of weirdness"

Totally understand that. First off, it isn't my call and the interest isn't there from above in anything along the lines of AD/OD/Kerberizing/etc... much less at least creating a handful of users directly on the server and handing out individual passwords.

Weirdness = Maybe a couple of times a day, a seemingly random client machine (macOS) will disconnect all clients from our Ubuntu based server. This doesn't cause a hang/lock/or anything, the shares can be mounted right back up. But depending on the work being done at the time, it can result in a good amount of work being lost.

> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise
>
>> In other words, we have about 40 machines all connected to our shares with the same user "smb". Is there a problem with this?
>
> normally not because it's pretty normal that a user has more than one connection

That was my thinking, but due to the issues occurring, I felt the need to cover every avenue I haven't explored yet.