[Samba] One username for multiple clients?

Eric Altman eric at lumaforge.com
Wed Feb 22 11:44:57 UTC 2017

I've just got a question. I've searched extensively for an answer and can't seem to find anyone else who is even curious about this, much less an answer.

Simply put: We don't care about security at the office. Our current configuration is to have just one SMB user logged in on ALL machines. We've had a little bit of weirdness but can't pin it down.

In other words, we have about 40 machines all connected to our shares with the same user "smb". Is there a problem with this?

Thank you,
Eric