[Samba] wbinfo -i returns the same id for all users, authentication doesn't seem to go through winbind at all

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 20 08:39:23 UTC 2017

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 14:28:28 -0800
L A Walsh via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> It may be irrelevant, but I have:
>
>   winbind enum groups = Yes
>   winbind enum users = Yes
>
> in mine.  The manpage makes no reference to 'enumerate' as a valid
> option.

It isn't in the smb.conf manpage, but it does seem to be valid

> Eh?  The man page says that turning off enumeration may cause
> programs to behave 'oddly' [i.e randomly or to exhibit undocumented
> behavior].  That doesn't sound like a "good thing".  Perhaps
> you are thinking about the advice on 'winbind expand groups'
> where it cautions about high values possibly resulting in server
> slowdown?
>
> Remember what I said about using lists from my server
> to find out what USERs & GROUPs are available -- turning that off
> would not be good for me.
>
> Is there something that has changed to make the older manpage's
> advice no longer valid?

You don't need enumeration, your users will still be found, the default
is now 'winbind enumerate users = no'

If you have a lot of users and run 'getent passwd' with 'winbind
enumerate users = yes' set, it may bog down your computer.

Rowland