[Samba] getent passwd user no output, addc + dm

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Feb 17 22:11:03 UTC 2017

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 15:37:27 -0600
Lin Pro <linforpros at gmail.com> wrote:

> ////ldbsearch does though, or ADUC on a windows version less than
> 10////
>
> Are you saying then that the problem would be in the group ID numbers
> and user ID numbers in the case that I'm describing?

What I am saying is that it looks like your users in AD do not have a
uidNumber attribute and/or Domain Users does not have a gidNumber
attribute.

> I installed LTB tools and I'm trying to figure out how to find out
> about those uid numbers

OK, run this on your Samba AD DC:

ldbsearch -H /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb -b
'dc=samdom,dc=example,dc=com' -s sub
"(&(objectClass=person)(uidNumber=*))" dn uidNumber

Just in case it has got split up, the above should be all one line.

/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb is the full path to sam.ldb, yours may be different

dc=samdom,dc=example,dc=com is the base DN of your AD, yours will be different, it is your dns name with the dots replaced.

If you have any 'uidNumber' attributes in AD, it will print the DN and uidNumber

Run this to check if Domain Users has a gidNumber

ldbsearch -H /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb -b
'dc=samdom,dc=example,dc=com' -s sub "(&(objectClass=group)(cn=Domain
Users)(gidNumber=*))" dn gidNumber

If you don't get any results, this is your problem and I am very sure
this is your problem. In which case read up on ldbmodify and/or the
Unix Attributes tab on RSAT ADUC, both of which are on the Samba wiki.

Rowland