[Samba] Minimum python 2.7 (not on RHEL6) for Samba 4.7 AD DC?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 17 18:53:40 UTC 2017

G'Day,

I've been looking at our minimum python version for the AD DC.

We have some patches currently being proposed to help us become
compatible with the modern Python3, and one aspect (PyCapsule) would be
easier to do if we restricted Samba to requiring Python 2.7 as a
minimum.

The wrinkle comes from our good friends at Red Hat, which found itself
caught with Python 2.6 on RHEL6.  Naturally additional python versions
can be installed from third parties, just as folks have done for RHEL5
for some time, but it isn't 'just there' and the various online HOWTO
solutions look much more complicated than an RPM install.

My questions are:
 - do you deploy Samba as an AD DC on RHEL6 or CentOS 6?
 - If so, would an upgrade to RHEL7 be likely before you deploy Samba
4.7 in late 2017?

or

 - do you deploy Samba as an AD DC on another platform without Python
2.7?

(This is to inform me in a parallel thread I'm having with metze over
the Python3 patches).

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett