[Samba] Potential contribution: FUSE client w/ SMB3 encryption support

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Feb 16 18:26:00 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 01:37:59AM -0800, David Ramos via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My team is in search of a way to mount SMB3/CIFS shares from a Linux client with encryption enabled (and with reasonable performance). After some research, it appears that the kernel CIFS client (mount.cifs) lacks encryption support, while the Samba client library (libsmbclient) doesn't offer mount functionality.
>
> Looking at the recent commit "examples: Add smb2mount" (https://github.com/samba-team/samba/commit/3b97211d1854b208afae711cc8804dd28ff1e532), it seems that a FUSE client may be the best avenue for implementing a Samba VFS that is compatible with newer features such as end-to-end encryption.
>
> Is there community interest in supporting such a project (and/or is smb2mount intended to become a full-fledged effort)? My team may have resources to contribute toward this project in a few months.

Yes, any work you do here will be greatly
appreciated and reviewed and merged as
appropriate (i.e. I'll certainly make
it a priority to get in, but can't promise
anything without actually evaluating the
code :-).

Thanks *SO MUCH* for offering help on
this, it's something that will be very
valuable moving forward.