[Samba] (DeviceIoControl, FSCTL_SET_SPARSE)

noid at wolfdogg.org noid at wolfdogg.org
Thu Feb 16 09:54:24 UTC 2017

Hi Rowland,

I see this in the ZFS props, if that’s related, you might be referring to something in ext3 that im not aware of at the moment.

pool/myshare                            aclinherit            restricted                          default
pool/myshare                            acltype               off                                 default

So, if you heard that I was going to use ext3, that was only as a solution, and that over ext4 due personal preference, since I made a mistake once on a reboot during write and suffered bad data loss.  I gave up on ext4, in favor of ext3 shortly after, and have since, for years.  However, I wanted to mention one thing, and you may have shed light on part of the issue. There is no Format other than zfs create, no ext3, I have not made a filesystem on it.  I just went ahead and straight wrote to it.  I have a post on stack overflow asking this exact question, if indeed I really need to format a zfs, but I'm not getting concrete answers yet I think.

Let me know if that helped answer, or else I can do some more digging around for you on that.

Thanks much.

Brian