[Samba] (DeviceIoControl, FSCTL_SET_SPARSE)

noid at wolfdogg.org noid at wolfdogg.org
Thu Feb 16 09:20:46 UTC 2017

Hi David,

Configured as you mention, and prior with the other tweaks I had in the first place,  Im getting the same results, which is "FSUTIL utility requires a Local NTFS Volume", and mapping it.

I then went to contig, `contig -n X:\share\sparesefile 0`, as well as a few other size.  Maybe im using it wrong, but some testing on contig has only "Access is denied" when I try to write to anything.

Oh one change, I put these settings only in Global (only, as opposed to also in the pool definition), I just realized.  I believe global should be enough shouldn’t it?

[global]
    # ZFS SPARSE
    #share:fake_fscaps = 0
    store dos attributes = yes
    strict allocate = yes

I hadn’t heard any mention of the importance of strict allocate, would that setting be wise then?

What are some other tools I might try that with?  I can try straight on the linux too, just as a test, if there is any tools recommended to test that with.  I will also look something up for that tomorrow as well.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
-Brian