[Samba] Renaming a SAMBA based Print Server

Clint Dilks clintd at waikato.ac.nz
Thu Feb 16 03:48:31 UTC 2017

HI,

If you have a CUPS/SAMBA print server set up should it be possible to
rename the server, but retain all of the printer configuration?

Currently I have setup a system with a temp name with all the Printers I
need configured.  I have been able to associate drivers and printers and
configure everything so that drivers can be downloaded and printing works
for both Windows 7 and 10

In an attempt rename the system I have then left our AD Domain configured
the netbios name (previously this was not set) Started nmbd and rejoined
our Domain.    From an AD perspective the leave and join work and I can
access the system via its new name.  But when I go into Print Management
and look at the list of printers all driver and configuration information
seems to be gone.  Drivers are still available but not associated with any
printers.  I also noticed that one of my printers had been renamed to an
empty string

I am guessing that if I now go an reattach all printers to the appropriate
driver and reconfigure all the settings again printing will work using the
new name,  But I was hoping for a process that would be more straight
forward than this.

Ideally I would like to replace an existing print server with a newer
system but keep the existing name, is something like this possible ?