[Samba] Samba4 Problem Rename [SOLVED]

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 15 10:14:05 UTC 2017

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 10:56:49 +0100
Bernhard Blasen via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Thank you Rowland, your post was very helpful.
>
> In one of your links I found "Do not use the same user names in the
> local /etc/passwd file as in the domain"
> and this statement did the trick. In Samba3 I had the same usernames
> for linux users and for samba users. But now in Samba4 acting as an
> AD PDC you obviously need different usernames.

When you connect to a Unix computer from a windows machine, the user
must be known to the underlying OS, this is where Samba comes in. With
older versions of Samba, this relied on mapping a Samba user to a Unix
user in /etc/passwd. When you run Samba as an AD DC, you do not do
this, you make your windows user (stored in AD) a Unix user by either
idmap.ldb on a DC (this is done automatically) or by adding a uidNumber
attribute to the user.

Rowland