[Samba] (DeviceIoControl, FSCTL_SET_SPARSE)

noid at wolfdogg.org noid at wolfdogg.org
Wed Feb 15 07:16:22 UTC 2017

To whomever reads this,
This post I accidentally sent to david himself, I am now sending it to the group.  It will be out of order, and includes the strace.

Regards
Brian

My apologies for any inconvenience.

--------------

Hi David,

Thanks for your response.

The Error message is for e.g.:

Cannot write file attributes of "\\MYHOST\backup\sparse\My Family Tree 6.0.zip.ffs_tmp".
Error Code 1: Incorrect function. (DeviceIoControl, FSCTL_SET_SPARSE)

Samba Version:
Samba version 4.4.4
PID     Username     Group        Machine                                   Protocol Version  Encryption           Signing
21582   backupadmin sys1       myhost (ipv4:192.168.1.99:55068)         SMB2_10           -                    -

I just tried the option   " store dos attributes = no"
Im getting the same error as above still unfortunately, but im doing some more thorough testing on that.  WOud you happen to know if I want the other two options set, and to what, at all? (> strict allocate & share:fake_fscaps = 0)

The application (freefilesync) has worked successfully against Samba before I rebuilt the array to a raidz2, from a zfs linear span (no raid parity disk, still other features worked, scrub, crc checking, etc..) and I had no problem in the 6TB 3 disk span.  Now I added three disks, , its now ~8TB with two parity disks.    The only thing I can imagine different is the freefilesync program, since there was a gap in time when I switched out the raid array, it didn’t work from the get go(the sparse part, same errors) but this was about a month or two, and a new version of freefilesync I believe too.  I noted tht  freefilesync has supported sparse for a long time, and I posted the url for the freefilesync forum, where the author of the app himself suspected it was possibly samba, see that post.

Much Appreciated David!

Regards Brian