[Samba] After Classic Upgrade

Christian Naumer cn at brain-biotech.de
Mon Feb 13 14:00:55 UTC 2017

Am Montag, den 13.02.2017, 13:09 +0000 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:

> You could just turn it into a Unix domain member, but you do not need
> wins server in AD, AD uses DNS instead.

In the "old" domain we had severe issues if WINS was not enabled. And
as we have a "grown" environment with NT, XP, Mac, Win7 and Win2003/8
we did not risk it to switch the old WINS server off. So what you are
saying is "wins support = yes" only works on domain members correct?
That is the way it is running now. I just thought to use the DCs to
have some kind of failover.

> > -- We are running dhcpd on two of the DCs with failover
> > configuration
> > and dynDNS updates via
> > (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP
> > _to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9). This works quite well. However,
> > since both dhcp servers want to update the DNS entry locally we
> > sometime get conflict entries (CNF:xxxxx). Has anybody found a
> > workaround for this?
> >

> How are you running the failover ?

Here the relevant part from the conf.

failover peer "dhcp-failover" {
        primary; # declare this to be
the primary server
        address 192.168.0.90;
        port 647;

 peer address 192.168.0.91;
        peer port 647;
        max-response-
delay 30;
        max-unacked-updates 10;
        load balance max
seconds 3;
        mclt 1800;
        split 255;
}

as you can see only one server is actively handing out IPs but both try
to update the DNS entries. The dynDNS was done as per the WIKI
instructions.

Regards