[Samba] cifs-utils: regression in (mulituser?) mounting 'CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -126'

Jeff Layton jlayton at samba.org
Fri Feb 10 19:29:56 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-02-10 at 14:14 -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-02-10 at 13:30 -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:

> > > I'm more interested in what the trailing info in your credcache
> > > name is.
> > > In your log output for the working case, there are:
> > >
> > > /tmp/krb5cc_0
> > > /tmp/krb5cc_1494_sM11PG
> > >
> > > So first one doesn't have that _XXXXXX trailing bit. Maybe
> > > cifs.upcall
> > > is not guessing that piece of the filename correctly?
> > >

> > (cc'ing Nalin, Simo and the linux-cifs ml)
> >
> > Yeah, it seems pretty likely that that is the problem. My guess is
> > that
> > the extra stuff on the ccname is coming from pam_krb5, which seems to
> > want to create a credcache that is session-specific.
> >
> > You could play with setting a different ccname_template for pam_krb5
> > that doesn't have the trailing stuff at the end, but it looks like it
> > won't clean them up on logout if you do that. Caveat emptor.
> >
> > I'm not sure what the right solution is there. For Simo and Nalin:
> >
> > The upshot here is that we did a big clean up of the cifs-utils code
> > recently, to get it out of the business of scanning /tmp for
> > credcaches.
> > That allows us to have better compatibility with other credcache
> > types
> > (keyring or whatever), and it was always rather nasty anyway.
> >
> > pam_krb5 wants to make session-specific credcaches however, and
> > cifs.upcall can't easily guess them. cifs.upcall is called from the
> > kernel, so it can't look in the environment or anything to find the
> > credcache.
> >
> > What's the right approach to fix this? Are we stuck with scanning
> > /tmp
> > forever?
>
> I think the right approach in the long run will be the KCM we are
> building in SSSD and planning to make the default cache type for F26.
>
> For file ccaches you are out of luck, even scanning /tmp can fail as
> users can decide to put them elsewhere.
>
> If a scan need to be made I would rather stat the files and look which
> one belong to the user that start with "/tmp/krb" rather than trying to
> guess the file name. Keep in mind predictable file names in /tmp are
> really not an option so pam_krb5 is doing the right thing in using a
> randomized file name given it runs as root.

Well, that's what we used to do -- do a readdir in /tmp, start looking
for files that might be credcaches. Of course that meant we have to
carry around a bunch of cruft for handling FILE: credcaches that doesn't
really adapt well to DIR: or KEYRING: ones.

I guess I have a philosophical question: how is an application (like
cifs.upcall), which is not descended from the user's session expected to
find a user's credcache? Is that use-case just not really accounted for
buy the krb5 libs?

One thing we could do (though I really don't like it), is to take the
pid value passed in the upcall and scrape that task's
/proc/<pid>/environ file for KRB5CCNAME=. That really is pretty nasty
though.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org>